Banner

http://thecutestblogontheblock.com/facelift/botanicalblissbannercopy.jpg

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

It matters to me!

What does friendship mean to you?

I have clung to my friendships for a long time, however in the past 40 days I have realized that I have become lazy with my friendships. I mean what did I do to keep in touch before facebook or myspace or twitter??? Sure those things can make it esay to share memories with those who maybe dont live so close, but I want to be a better friend than that. These media outlets take so much away from having personable relationships. Think about it... you post pictures or Christmas where everyone is laughing at a table, and someone asks what was so funny... what happened to sharing those pictures and memories face to face with your friends and telling the stories behind the pictures.

Take a status update... Maybe your having a tough day, and want to tell someone. I want to be the type of person that my friends can tell me these things, not post on some social media outlet so that I can catch a glimpse of what is going on in their life. I want to be the type of person that I can be relied on to be there, and to offer encouragement one on one.

Now some read this and think that I am bashing the social media web, this is not true. Am I going to keep my facebook? yes. Will I update photos? yes. Simply because I have many family members that I do not live close enough to share everything that is going on all the time. But I want to be the person who has photo albums and can go and share my stories with family and friends. I want to visit my friends out of town by traveling to see them. I want to make sure that they know that I care. I want to know about their stories and travels and jokes... but on a more personal level. Life is not lived on the internet, it is out doing life! It is experienceing things and making memories.

I have been reflecting over the best memories I have, and I smile because they were not made sitting at a desk behind a computer screen or through an app on my phone...

They were made by swinging from a rope bolted to a tree accross the creek and having the adrenaline make my heart race so fast that I could feel it in my ears when I was 10.
Sitting on the back of my best friend's four-wheeler while singing country soungs riding the trails, while her nana made us fresh fried okra when I was 14.
Going to that same best friends house everyday aftershool, stopping by sonic for tater tots and a coke before watching Cruel Intentions for the 100th time when I was 15.
Driving my dad home from work in his jeep because he was too tired to finish the trip home, and he was so proud that I did not kill us both when I was 16.
Taking the floor for State Competition and pouring everything I had onto that tarp when I was 17.
Walking across the stage and accepting my diploma, while missing my grandmother but proud that my grandfather still was there to wath me when I was 18.
Moving into my first apartment, and buying my first truck with my own hard earned money, then learning that I was moving to the ghetto by myself at the age of 20.
Meeting Paul at Bennigan's and having the courage to take a leap of faith and introduce myself eventhough at the time I was engaged to someone else (long story) at the age of 21.
Living with my parents and Paul slept in the closet when I was 22.
Saying "I Do" when I was 23.
Signing contracts for building our first house when I was 24.
Turning 25
Discovering God's Grace and a part of my purpose at 26.
Going to Austin for the first time at 27.
And now I am 28... What will this year have in store for me... WE SHALL SEE!!!

1 comment: